Posted March 17, 2014
For lifelong healthy vision, it’s important to take care of your eyes. Many people wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays, or wear protective eyewear to avoid eye injuries. But it’s also important for those who use eye makeup to follow several tips to keep their eyes healthy.
Cosmetics enhance the eyes
For generations, cosmetics have been used to accentuate the user’s eyes. These products have evolved through the years and, as researchers have refined ingredients and manufacturing processes, makeup has become safer to use.
Everyday Health provides several guidelines to observe when using eye makeup:
- Always wash hands before applying cosmetics
- Toss eye makeup after using it for several months, since bacteria and fungi can grow quickly in the tubes and containers and multiply within a few months; these germs can irritate and damage the eyes
- When opening new packages of eye makeup, use a permanent marker to write the date on the container to help you remember when the products were first used
- Use only eye cosmetics on the eyes; apply makeup with clean brushes and sponges
- Never apply cosmetics to the inner eyelid; this may aggravate the lids and eyes
- Don’t share cosmetics with other family members or friends
- Avoid permanent coloring and dyes for eyelashes, which can damage eyes if not used correctly
- Don’t use eye cosmetics if eyes are irritated or infected
- Avoid using eye makeup products that are glittery or shiny, as they may include ingredients that can irritate the eyes
- Before going to sleep, gently wash off all cosmetics; brush a clean cotton swab along the eyelashes to remove makeup deposits
To learn more, review eye makeup tips provided by the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).