Posted June 22, 2015
Many people think chocolate milk is just for kids. But health experts say chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink for adults after exhausting workouts.
For years, athletes have consumed sports drinks after exercising to recharge their bodies. But chocolate milk is emerging as the preferred drink due to the high amount of protein and carbohydrates it contains. Review these five facts about chocolate milk:
- One 8-ounce glass contains between 8 and 11 grams of protein. Health experts recommend the consumption of 15 to 25 grams of protein after a strenuous workout.
- Since it contains a high amount of water, fluids lost during exercising are quickly replaced.
- It has double the amount of carbohydrates, which tired muscles use for recovery. Drinking water replaces moisture lost while sweating, but chocolate milk provides carbohydrates that muscles can metabolize.
- It’s rich in calcium, vitamin D, sodium and sugar, which help athletes retain water and energy.
- Researchers report that athletes who drink chocolate milk perform better than those who drink only water or sports beverages.
Before switching to chocolate milk, fitness professionals recommend reviewing your fitness schedule. Chocolate milk is best for athletes who have tough workouts and need a high amount of calories, carbohydrates and proteins to maintain energy while exercising. It’s an excellent choice for long-distance runners, swimmers or cyclists vs. someone who jogs a few miles, works out on a treadmill or participates in an exercise class.