Posted August 17, 2021
Americans’ demand for organic or natural products continues to grow. Currently, there are about 20,000 natural food stores located across the country. The interest in natural foods started in the fruit and vegetable aisles but quickly expanded to other products, including dental products. Today there are many different types of oral care products on the market. Review these tips for choosing natural dental products.
The best feature of natural dental products is the ingredients. Many products sold over the counter contain added colors, scents or foaming agents. However, these ingredients can be harmful to people’s health.
When purchasing dental health products that claim to be natural or organic, make sure they are safe. Check the list of ingredients. Actual natural products should not contain artificial colors, petrochemicals, phthalates, parabens or synthetic foaming agents. Many of these ingredients are found in non-natural dental products.
Dentists recommend that patients brush their teeth twice a day for two minutes each time. Using non-organic toothpaste means it could contain harmful chemicals and possibly hurt enamel and oral tissues. In contrast, organic toothpaste is made of safe ingredients that won’t damage teeth and gums.
Natural toothpaste contains herbs and clays that remove toxins from the mouth and leave your breath fresh. However, it does not contain fluoride, which helps strengthen children’s tooth enamel. Ask your dentist about the best toothpaste option for you and your dependents, and whether fluoride treatments are recommended.
People are encouraged to floss their teeth once a day. This practice helps remove food particles caught between teeth and along the gumline. Most floss is made of waxed nylon, so it slides easily between teeth. However, it isn’t biodegradable.
As an alternative to regular floss, dentists recommend using a water flosser. The water flosser streams pressured water against teeth and gums, dislodging bacteria, plaque and food particles. Water flossers help reduce gum inflammation, bleeding and the risk of periodontal disease. It also makes it easier for people with braces to keep their teeth clean. However, a water flosser is not a substitute for brushing twice daily.
Many people use a mouth rinse to remove food particles left in the mouth after eating and to keep their breath fresh. The problem is that most regular mouth rinse products contain alcohol. But alcohol can dry out oral tissues and create a burning sensation in the mouth.
Natural mouth rinse products contain ingredients that are safe for oral tissues and teeth. They help prevent bacteria and reduce inflammation in the mouth. Research shows that natural mouth rinses are just as effective in protecting tooth enamel as non-natural products.
More natural dental cleaning products
There are several other natural products, foods and drinks that can help keep teeth clean. Review this list of five options:
- Green tea – Researchers have identified oral health benefits of drinking green tea. It’s a natural mouth rinse to protect tooth enamel from erosion. It helps prevent starchy foods from sticking to teeth and causing decay. And people who regularly drink green tea have healthier gums in comparison to those who don’t.
- Peroxide and baking soda – Baking soda helps fight tooth decay and peroxide kills certain bacteria. Mix baking soda with water to create a paste to brush on your teeth. When using peroxide don’t use it full strength. Mix peroxide with water to make a weak solution so it won’t burn oral tissues.
- Eucalyptol, menthol and tea tree oils – These oils help kill harmful oral bacteria and reduce tissue inflammation. Several natural brands of toothpaste contain these oils.
- Xylitol gum or lozenges – Use xylitol in place of sugar to lower the risk for tooth decay. Scientists report that xylitol increases saliva, helping to reduce dry mouth. (It’s toxic to dogs, so keep it out of reach.)
- Vitamin D – Dental professionals believe vitamin D helps the body kill oral bacteria, reducing the risk for gum disease.
Healthy ingredients in natural dental products protect teeth and gums from decay and oral diseases. It’s also essential to eat nutritious foods. So, protect your smile by limiting these 10 bad foods for your oral health.