Posted February 23, 2017
Looking for a natural product for cleaning and eliminating odors? Try orange peels. People enjoy oranges as a delicious snack that’s rich in vitamin C. When peeled, they release a fresh scent and the peels contain oils good for cleaning. Review four of nine ways to use oranges for everyday living as featured in Reader’s Digest.
1. Kitchen – Orange peels can eliminate odors, remove water spots and soften brown sugar:
- Refrigerator smells – An orange rind filled with salt placed in the frig will absorb odors and leave behind a sweet, pleasant aroma.
- Garbage disposal – Grease and grime can build up in the disposal creating a sour smell. Orange peels contain natural oils and juices that cut through the grease. Grind up several peels in the disposal and enjoy a new fresh scent.
- Stainless steel – Rub orange peels over stainless steel faucets, appliances and silverware to remove water spots.
- Brown sugar – When exposed to the air, brown sugar can turn into a hard lump. Add a few orange peels to the container to soften it up. Periodically replace the peels to keep brown sugar fresh.
2. Hair – Make a natural product to freshen and soften hair by grinding up a whole orange in the blender. Apply the liquid to your hair, from the scalp to the roots.
3. Closets – Stinky socks, sweaty shoes and smelly jackets can create a sour odor in the closet. Refresh the scent by stuffing old pantyhose with orange peels, then hang from the clothes rod or lay on a shelf. Replace the peels as they dry out.
4. Outdoors – Orange peels work great as a bug repellent or add spark to an outdoor fire.
- Bug repellent – Orange peels keep bugs, flies and mosquitos from biting or bothering when you’re outdoors. Researchers report that the peels naturally contain high amounts of limonene, a chemical poisonous to insects. Place pieces of orange peels in window sills, near doors or around the yard or rub them on your skin to keep pesky bugs away.
- Blazing, scented bonfire – Orange peel oils are flammable, but burn slowly. Add several peels to a fire and enjoy a beautiful, sweet-smelling flame.