Posted May 7, 2014
Imagine being rewarded for taking care of your teeth! That’s the idea behind incentive programs that may be available through your dental insurance carrier.
Benefit surveys show that people with dental insurance value their coverage and tend to use their benefits. They are more likely to schedule a yearly checkup with a dental professional to evaluate the health of their teeth and gums, and develop a treatment plan to address concerns as necessary. These efforts can pay off for you in many different ways.
Dental reward programs
Ameritas group division offers a dental reward plan option that allows qualifying members to carry over a portion of their unused annual maximum benefit. To qualify, each covered employee and their dependents need to do the following each calendar year:
- Submit at least one dental claim
- Keep the total paid claims under the plan’s annual threshold limit; for example, a plan with a $1,000 annual maximum may have a threshold of $500; stay under this threshold amount and earn a reward of $250 toward next year’s annual maximum
- Earn a bonus by receiving dental care from a participating network dentist; for example, an extra $100 may be carried over toward next year’s annual maximum by staying in network
- Rewards accumulate up to a maximum amount, helping offset more expensive dental procedures that may arise in the future; some carriers call it a benefit bank
Tips for good oral health
WebMD offers several tips for a healthy smile, including:
- Brush teeth at least twice a day; if possible, brush after each meal and especially before going to bed; if you can’t brush right away, rinse your mouth with water
- Use dental floss daily to clean between teeth
- Eat nutritious, balanced meals and limit snacks; after consuming sticky foods, brush your teeth
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and an oral exams
- Ask your dentist about applying dental sealants (a plastic protective coating) to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth (molars) to protect them from decay
- Use a mouth rinse containing fluoride to help prevent tooth decay
Learn more about how to get rewards for good dental health.