Posted October 2, 2015
If you wear prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses, it can be frustrating when they don’t fit correctly or the lenses are scratched. Avoid these problems by taking proper care of your glasses. Observe these five tips provided by Reader’s Digest:
- Use two hands – Take off your glasses using both hands to avoid bending the frame, earpieces or nosepieces, which can change how the glasses fit on your face.
- Clean carefully – Wash glasses with diluted dish soap, using your fingers to gently remove grime and smudges. Avoid using glass cleaners on the lenses because these products may contain harmful chemicals, such as alcohol or ammonia. If you don’t have access to dish soap, rinse glasses with bottled water. Always use a soft, lint-free cloth to dry your glasses.
- Avoid heat – Glasses are not designed to withstand extreme heat. During warm weather, take your glasses with you when exiting the car to keep them from melting or losing their shape.
- Wear correctly – Many people wear their glasses on top of their head for convenience or as a fashion statement. However, this practice may bend the nosepieces and frame. You also may get smudges on the lenses from hair and skin oils, which can be difficult to remove.
- Store in a case – It’s easy to scratch the lenses when glasses are set face down. Protect your glasses by keeping the lenses off of rough surfaces and storing them in an eyeglass case.
For additional tips, review this article.
Scheduling a regular eye exam is important for good vision health. Read this blog to learn three life-saving benefits of regular eye exams.